26 July 2016

Flower Pressing - What's the fuss about?

I have always loved flowers from a young age; all the different colours and styles. If I see anything with a floral pattern I want to take a closer look and the name of my blog should give enough hints :) My boyfriend frequently surprises me with bouquets and the novelty really doesn't wear off for me- seeing a bright bouquet when I come downstairs in the morning brings a smile to my face,

If you are anything like me, and love flowers, finding a way to preserve such beauties is a must try! So I started trying to press flowers about a year ago. 

For anyone that doesn't know, flower pressing is the process of flattening and drying-out flowers into a 'preserved' state. Pressed flowers can be used to decorate cards or gifts or even be used to crate your own display for framing. 

You can read about many methods online and tips to finding the perfect flowers for pressing. If I am really honest, I have just been using a bit of trail and error and seeing what works and what doesn't (but there is a good link at the end of this post for more ideas).  

I have tried the good old fashion 'book' method and I recently purchased a wooden flower press from Typo.com, which I have had quite a bit of success with. 

The general idea of flower pressing though is placing the appropriate flower/stems in between two bits of paper and placing this paper in between a weighted item that can 'press' the flowers together, for example a book. 
Pressing can take anything from 3-6 days. The results are varied, some flowers work well and others not so well. But, its exciting to see the end product either way, you never know quite what to expect!!

For more information on flower pressing check out this link below - I might steal some of these ideas myself too:  

http://www.proflowers.com/blog/how-to-press-flowers









1 comment:

  1. Aww how cute - didn't know you'd been doing this, looks fab.

    I still need to give you your present from South Africa btw.. its a DIY style present so I'm sure you'll love it!

    Love sissy poo xx

    ReplyDelete